© 2019 Fire For Effect Athletics, LLC.

Sep 18, 2018

Snacking 101

0 comments

You started a Nutrition Challenge, you're feeling committed, and then that 2 pm feeling hits. The vending machine, Wawa, and GrubHub are calling your name. Now what? First, let's debunk some myths.

1. Veggies, fruits and nuts are great snacks!

This is mostly false. If you read more about the Macro conversation under 'Food Guidelines', then you know that all meals, from large to small, need to include all three Macros (Protein, Carb, and Fat). Read the 'Snack Smart' post for some suggested building blocks to create snacks. The only exception here is the pre-workout snack, which I'll talk about below.

2. If I'm going to cheat, I might as well cheat on a small snack instead of a large meal.

This is 100% false. Even a small intake of something high in calories, sugar, or another inflammatory food group sends mixed signals to your brain. You might feel satisfied for a short time, and get a burst of energy, but you'll eventually crash, and impede your overall progress.

3. There's no need for snacks - three meals a day is sufficient.

This is partly false. If you're working out 3-4 or more days a week, a snack can definitely benefit you on your workout days. Here's a good rule of thumb:

Eat a snack 15-60 minutes before you workout, as a signal to prepare your body for activity. Include a small amount of protein, and a small amount of fat. Do NOT add fruit or vegetables to this snack.

Eat a meal with 15-30 minutes of working out. This meal should include a full portion of protein, carbohydrates (vegetables), and fat. Do not use fruit as a primary carbohydrate after your workout.

• Who doesn't love a good snack? Snacks can be consumed for a variety of reasons; pre-workout needs, post-workout needs, increasing your caloric intake, etc. Read the Snacking 101 post for some myth-busting information about snacks. Here are some simple building blocks for snacking: Protein hard boiled eggs sugar and nitrate free deli meat 2-4 oz cooked meat, such as beef, poultry, or seafood Carbs raw vegetables cooked vegetables fresh fruits (not cooked or dried) Fat 2 tbsp oil 2 tbsp grassfed butter or ghee 2 tbsp almond or cashew butter 1/2 - 1 avocado 1 closed handful of nuts 1 heaping handful of olives 1 heaping handful of unsweetened coconut flakes Great. How do I build my snack? I'm glad you asked. Read on for some basic snack creations that you can prepare in advance, or whip up quickly. The 'I had breakfast at the crack of dawn but I won't be able to break for lunch for awhile because my boss is a maniac' snack 2 oz cooked shredded chicken 2 tbsp evoo 1 cup spinach 6 red grapes, sliced Mix the chicken, oil, grapes, and salt and pepper together, and eat on a bed of spinach. The 'If I don't eat before I workout I'm going to be SUPER hangry afterward' snack 2 slices deli meat 1/2 an avocado Slice the avocado and roll it in the deli slices. The 'I slept in and I need to eat something or so help me I will stop at McDonalds and order one of everything from the breakfast menu' snack 2-3 hard boiled eggs 1/2 a red bell pepper, cut into strips 1/2 - 1 avocado Cut the eggs in half and mash the avocado with the yolks, and add salt and pepper to taste. Return the mix to the egg halves.
  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Instagram Icon